What do I need for an Occupational License?

If your license has been suspended because of a DWI or any other reason, you may be eligible for an Occupational license (ODL). An ODL is valid from 1-2 years, and looks and functions almost identically to a regular Driver’s License. You cannot have had your license suspended due to a medical reason, or being unfit to drive.

What documents do you need to gather?

  • Your Driving record (certified Abstract).

If you have the audit number (very long number located on your physical driver’s license – usually next to your photo.), you can apply for your driving record online and get it in minutes here:


If you don’t have that audit number, you will need to send it in by mail. It usually takes at least 3 weeks, and no, there’s not a better way. You can download and print the mail-in form here: http://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DR-1.pdf

Choose the $20 Certified abstract and include a $20 check made out to DPS.

  • SR-22.

The SR-22 is a document you get from your insurance carrier. It simply shows that your liability insurance is valid. A simple proof of insurance document will not work though. It has to be an SR-22. This can be tricky because not all insurance carriers will provide it for you. The carriers who do provide it will sometimes charge a small fee or might raise your rates.

  • A Petition

A petition filed with a proper court is required, and most courts require a proposed order as well. Filing fees apply, and fees vary depending on which court you are filing with.

Once the judge signs the order, you must send certified copies of the petition and order to DPS, along with an ODL fee and a copy of your SR-22. You will get a physical driver’s license in the mail in a few weeks. In the meantime, you can use the certified copy of the judge’s order as your license.

What does it all cost? For a basic ODL, I will handle everything for $950 (this includes all filing fees). Once I receive all the documents, I can usually have your ODL order signed within 1-2 business days. The only thing that causes delay in a typical case is waiting on the driving record.


If you are in need of an ODL and want it handled quickly, call 512-677-5003.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *